Hauschild SpeedMixer® Is Leading the Way in Sustainable Mixing. Here’s How.
For nearly 50 years, DAC (Dual Asymmetric Centrifugal) mixers have been revolutionizing lab mixing practices with a far-reaching impact — including within the realm of sustainability. Thanks to a game-changing design, DAC mixers are inherently sustainable, allowing for a reduction in material waste, cleaning agents and expelled power.
Sustainability Support Through SpeedMixer Technology
Through leading-edge innovations and precision engineering, Hauschild SpeedMixer®
takes sustainability to new heights. Engineering and design are core elements of Hauschild’s company-wide sustainability culture, and each Hauschild SpeedMixer®
machine is built to champion these efforts. Here’s how:
SUSTAINABILITY: THE HAUSCHILD WAY
- Batch control and uniformity: Fewer materials are wasted when the exact batch measurements are accounted for prior to mixing. Plus, because of the mixer’s bladeless design, less energy is needed to complete the mixture. This keeps the amount of toxic materials discarded to a minimum.
- Less power and time needed: Hauschild SpeedMixer® DAC mixers have the best motors available, allowing for the highest RPM among competitors. However, while RPM is the highest, there’s still lower energy consumption because the machine isn’t maxed out. The speed allows for faster results and less energy expended to complete the mixing process.
- Less maintenance and higher-quality parts: Components of the company’s mixing equipment are precision engineered to be durable and robust, vastly reducing both the number of parts that need to be replaced and the amount of machines taken out of service.
It’s no surprise that Hauschild SpeedMixer®
machines lead the way in sustainable mixing. Sustainability is a core principle that guides Hauschild’s everyday operations, manifesting in two significant ways: through constant innovations in SpeedMixer technology and a company culture that has been steeped in sustainable operations since 1973, when Gerd-Ulrich Schmidt, owner and founder of Hauschild SpeedMixer®
, invented and built the original DAC mixer.
Sustainability Through Company Culture
Hauschild’s commitment to sustainability is present in every sector of its business, including company culture. This ongoing effort includes:
- Sustainable buildings: A new R&D building that boasts a climate-neutral energy supply made possible through a solar energy system and HVAC heat pump.
- Caring for employees’ overall well-being: Healthy, well-rested employees help ensure the quality of the company’s products, which contributes to the company’s sustainability efforts.
- Selling to the client’s needs: Instead of capitalizing on ways to upsell, Hauschild focuses on understanding and meeting their customers’ immediate needs, which may include selling fewer complex materials and machinery. “We offer a solution,” Schmidt says. “In the long run, this practice creates a sustainable relationship built on trust with their customers.”
Running a sustainable business is an evolving endeavor filled with accepting new information and applying lessons learned to overall operations. At present, Hauschild SpeedMixer®
machines use disposable cups to counter cross-contamination and contain aggressive matter mixed within the vessels. Depending on the materials being mixed, these cups can be recycled. They also require no cleaning, which cuts the use of toxic cleaning agents down to zero.
machines are also adaptable to mix right into packaging containers, so the product goes straight from the SpeedMixer to the shelf with no waste along the way.
Owner Mareike Boccola, who’s also Schmidt’s daughter, believes in “living an example” of sustainability. “If you’re living the example of being sustainable, that goes on and transforms into a leadership function from the top to the bottom,” Boccola says.
A PIONEER IN SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS PRACTICES
At every turn, global companies are talking about “green” initiatives within everyday business practices. In fact, most of the world’s largest corporations now issue sustainability reports, and more than 2,000 companies have set a scientifically backed carbon target, according to the Harvard Business Review.
But, to Hauschild SpeedMixer®
, sustainability is more than just a buzzword. It’s at the core of how the company has operated for nearly 50 years.
Sustainability is a way of life for Schmidt, who has always searched for a more effective, tenable way of doing things. This quest started when Schmidt, who was exposed to the dental field through a family member, started noticing that a majority of dental impressions were tossed because of inconsistent mixing.
This inspired Schmidt to think about a technology-driven solution for these mixing mishaps. He knew it was possible to cut down on the mixing time while ensuring an accurate product — a practice that would save dentists time and money and spare the environment from remnants of numerous failed dental mixtures each day.
As Schmidt thought about the machines he’d one day create, he knew that reliability and repairability would be two nonnegotiable standards.
Nearly half a century later, Schmidt has stuck to that initial promise. “In Germany, more than 80% of Hauschild SpeedMixer®
machines built in the last 48 years are still running,” Schmidt says. Dedication to solid engineering has been a foundational practice of Schmidt’s effort to live — and lead — sustainably.
A ‘FUTURE-READY’ MINDSET
A global demand for sustainability is there — and it’s rising. More and more, customers are expecting companies to have sustainable practices in place. In fact, 85% of customers have adopted more sustainable purchasing behaviors within the past five years, according to the Global Sustainability Study 2021.
But, for Schmidt and Boccola, sustainability goes beyond customer appeal — it’s doing the right thing by customers, employees, and the world at large.
“We have to live in a way that allows us to give the world to our kids and grandkids and their grandkids,” Schmidt says. “We want to position the company to always be future ready and bring something to the next generation.”
LEARN MORE ABOUT HAUSCHILD’S SUSTAINABILITY PRACTICES
From leadership down to its beloved employees, Hauschild SpeedMixer®
is a positive force for sustainability and environmental responsibility. Learn more about Hauschild’s sustainability practices today